Saturday 8 June 2013

Not a review, more of a 'heads up' - 'Theatre of the Gods' (M. Suddain)

It was a hard lesson to learn but I now know that there is no way I will possibly read all the books that I want to. There just isn't enough time and the time I do have will be cut further in the next few months. It's time to be a little more selective about what I pick up then; especially if I want to make the most of the time and, you know, actually enjoy what I'm reading :o)

So where does that leave the 'almost' books then? Those books that look very intriguing but don't quite match my mood (or whatever)? Even if you haven't read a book, you can still talk about it (well only up to a point but you know what I mean...) and so an occasional series of posts were born. A book turns up that I think looks like something you might like; I'm not going to read it but I'll point you in its direction.
A book like 'Theatre of the Gods' for example...


This is the story of M. Francisco Fabrigas, philosopher, heretical physicist, and perhaps the greatest human explorer of all ages, who took a shipful of children on a frightening voyage through dimensions filled with deadly surprises, assisted by a teenaged Captain, a brave deaf boy, a cunning blind girl, and a sultry botanist, all the while pursued by the Pope of the universe and a well-dressed mesmerist.

Dark plots, cannibal cults, demonic creatures, madness, mayhem, murderous jungles, the birth of creation, the death of time, and a creature called the Sweety: all this and more waits beyond the veil of reality.


'Theatre of the Gods' looks like the kind of 'Weird Sci-Fi' that I would enjoy if my head was a little less frazzled right now. A quick read of  Niall's review confirmed my suspicions. I couldn't read past the first couple of chapters of 'Embassytown' without getting a vicious headache and that's not an experience I care to repeat! 'Theatre of the Gods' looks like it could be fun though and that's enough to get a mention here. If anyone does pick it up, leave a comment here and tell me what you think.

Have a look at the Blacklist site for an extract from the book and then stay awhile to drink in the deliciously dark atmosphere they're creating over there. It's all good.

5 comments:

  1. I had a copy of Theatre of the Gods sent to me, and I know I'll never read it (completely not my thing). As much as I realise I should expand my literary horizons, there's just not nearly enough time to do so :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some books really do take it out of you, it's true, and Theatre of the Gods is one of that number. That said, I had a pretty fine time with it; hard going as it is, I don't expect I'll ever forget it. As with Embassytown — as you assert, sir.

    Oddly, subjecting myself to novels I probably wouldn't have made the time or the found the energy to invest in otherwise has come to be one of the perks of working for Tor.com. The mind boggles when I think of all the experiences, good and bad, that I just wouldn't have had if not for one damned deadline or another...

    Which is to say, I suppose, maybe consider keeping Theatre of the Gods near to hand for when you're feeling a little less frazzled?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Embassytown' still sits on my shelf, waiting for that day when I'm either up for the task or am well stocked up with ibuprofen ;o) I know I'll enjoy it but only at the right time.
    I'm totally with you in terms of the potential benefits of taking a chance on a book that I wouldn't normally pick up; I've discovered some amazing authors that way (Gary Braunbeck for one) and I know that there are still more gems down the road waiting for me to find them. There's also a time to stay with what you know though and that is right now for me (although hopefully not for long).

    Point taken though, I'm sure there's room on the shelves for 'Theatre of the Gods' to sit for a while :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you think it's a headache to read, imagine how it felt to write it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you have to lay in a supply of painkillers...? ;o)
    I will definitely give 'Theatre of the Gods' a go, at some point, as it does look like the kind of book that I'd enjoy (I certainly got a lot out of the extract and am up for seeing where the rest of it goes...)

    ReplyDelete