Saturday 18 January 2014

Books in the Post (Sleeping Baby Edition)

Trying to type really quietly as Elana has just gone to sleep on me...

After a heavy few days at work (and at home) there was nothing nicer last night than to come home and find a whole load of book parcels waiting for me. Ok, there were at least three nicer things waiting for me but this is a book blog so that's what I'm going to concentrate on ;o) Go on, have a look at the picture...


It's not often that this many books turn up and I want to read them all. Normally some will fall into the 'maybe' or 'just plain never' piles; not this time though, they all look like potentially awesome reads.
For the record, I'm making inroads into 'The Girl With All The Gifts' (you're fooling no-body with that pen name Mr. Carey...) and 'He Drank, And Saw The Spider' (it's good to be hanging out with Eddie LaCrosse again). The most intriguing title in the pile though is Claire North's 'The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August', a title (out in March) that I'd heard nothing of until I opened the package. Here's the blurb,

Harry August is on his deathbed. Again. 

No matter what he does or the decisions he makes, when death comes, Harry always returns to where he began, a child with all the knowledge of a life he has already lived a dozen times before. Nothing ever changes.

Until now.

As Harry nears the end of his eleventh life, a little girl appears at his bedside. ‘I nearly missed you, Doctor August,’ she says. ‘I need to send a message. It has come down from child to adult, child to adult, passed back through generations from a thousand years forward in time. The message is that the world is ending, and we cannot prevent it. So now it’s up to you.’

I've got a couple of new books that I want to read first (as well as all the other well meaning reading intentions that I have...) but I'm definitely going to give 'The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August' a go. Does it grab you at all?

1 comment:

  1. Nice haul. I nabbed A Different Kingdom in my review shelf additions too. Still waiting to be approved for The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August.

    ReplyDelete