Tuesday 27 May 2014

Books In The Post, 'Lazy Bank Holiday Edition'

Well, I say 'lazy'... There wasn't a lot of 'laziness' going on seeing as Hope was full of energy and really happy to be on holiday. It was a great three days though and I don't think I read more than a couple of pages of anything over the long weekend. You know what? That was cool as well. I've become really aware that I'm the kind of guy who will finish a book and then pick up another one within seconds; there's nothing wrong with that just as long as you're doing it for the right reason. If you're not then take a step back and enjoy what's going on in real life. There may not be any dragons, or stuff like that, but real life can be pretty magical as well :o)

But the books, the books... Only three books turned up this weekend and that was fine by me as I'm trying to fit in time for the books gathering dust on the shelves. Have a look at what showed up...


'The Mabinogion' is, you guessed it, is another 'Fantasy Masterwork' that somehow found its way to my front door via Amazon. Strange how that happens... As with all the other Fantasy Masterworks, 'The Mabinogion' will be read at some point in the near future. Or the far future, haven't decided yet and right now, to be honest, I'm just enjoying watching the collection slowly take over the shelves... :o)

I've got no interest in reading 'Earth Awakens', in no small part because of the kind of guy Orson Scott Card comes across as. I don't want to support that kind of behaviour so that's the last you'll hear of 'Earth Awakens' here (which is a bit of a shame for Aaron Johnston but I'm sure he knew the score...)

'Cibola Burn' looks like an awesome read though. Seriously, check out the blurb...

The gates have opened the way to a thousand new worlds and the rush to colonise has begun. Settlers looking for a new life stream out from humanity's home planets. Illus, the first human colony on this vast new frontier, is being born in blood and fire.
Independent settlers stand against the overwhelming power of a corporate colony ship with only their determination, courage and the skills learned in the long wars of home. Innocent scientists are slaughtered as they try to survey a new and alien world.
James Holden and the crew of his one small ship are sent to make peace in the midst of war and sense in the heart of chaos. But the more he looks at it, the more Holden thinks the mission was meant to fail.
And the whispers of a dead man remind him that the great galactic civilisation which once stood on this land is gone. And that something killed them.

Looks amazing doesn't it? There's just the small matter of my being two books behind with this series that's stopping me reading this straight away. Sue and the girls are away this week so I might be able to catch up. Alternatively, I might just blow the whole week catching up with 'A Game of Thrones'. It's a tough one...

No comments:

Post a Comment