Monday 2 June 2014

Books In The Post! 'Waiting For That Phone Call...' Edition.

So I had an interview, last Wednesday, that actually went really well; certainly well enough for me to finally consign the 'Mary Poppins' interview to the dustbin of history. Seriously, I did that interview in the style of Mary Poppins being interviewed by the father (what was his name again?) but anyway... I've been promised an update sometime this afternoon and I will likely find out whether I got the job or not; staring at my phone and willing it to ring clearly doesn't work but only because I'm not staring hard enough! *Stares*

While I wait for the phone to ring then, have a look at the books that came in the post over the last few days. There are some good ones there...


Okay, 'Dark Crusade' didn't arrive in the post at all; I found this while mooching around second hand bookshops (waiting for Sue and the girls to get home from Plymouth). I used to have a really old battered copy that got lost while we were living in Gloucester; this copy looks a lot nicer (Frank Frazetta covers make everything look nicer) and officially marks the start of my trying to collect all the 'Kane' books in paperback. We'll see how that goes, I suspect it will take a lot longer to complete than my Fantasy Masterworks collection...


I'm pretty sure you will have already seen a couple of these books before, in blogs that are much better at keeping up to date with the new stuff than I will ever be. The arrival of 'Cibola Burn', last week, prompted me to try and get caught up with the 'Expanse' series and that's what will be happening with 'Caliban's War' and 'Abaddon's Gate'. I need to do an awful lot of reading to get caught up with Kevin Hearne's 'Iron Druid' chronicles as well but... I'm not going to. Nothing wrong with the books, I'm just not feeling any need to keep reading at all so 'Shattered' will be going to a new home very soon I think.

I'm really into dragons at the moment (blame 'Game of Thrones', I'm two seasons in now and am loving every second of it) so 'Splintered Gods' will be read, after I read 'Dragon Queen', as will 'The Tropic of Serpents'. I started reading 'The Incorruptibles' over the weekend and would like to get in early by saying that you really need to be reading this one too, it's looking very good so far.

So what does that leave? It's been a little while since I've read any ghost stories and Joanna Briscoe's 'Touched' looks promising (and short enough to fit in between other reads) so I'll more than likely dip into it this week. Have a look at the blurb,

Rowena Crale and her family have moved from London.
They now live in a small English village in a cottage which seems to be resisting all attempts at renovation.
Walls ooze damp, stains come through layers of wallpaper, ceilings sag.
And strange noises - voices - emanate from empty rooms.
As Rowena struggles with the upheaval of builders while trying to be a dutiful wife and a good mother to her young children, her life starts to disintegrate.
And then, one by one, her daughters go missing ...

Look for a review very soon.

And last but not least, 'The House of War and Witness'. Another ghost story that's had a little bit of blog time already (look down the page a bit...) and will be read/reviewed purely because Mike Carey's name is on it.

What am I reading at the moment? 'The Crimson Campaign' is already shaping up to be at least as good as 'Promise of Blood' and I've already mentioned 'The Incorruptibles' as one to look out for. I've also (finally) made a start on 'Range of Ghosts' and that doesn't look too shabby either. What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment